Monday, August 8, 2011

Jonathan Chait: "I suppose I didn't express myself as well as I could have." -- repeatedly

Jonathan Chait today dismissed this objection (also discussed by Andrew Gelman) that being easily fired really isn't really part of the definition of a professional with the line:
I think Palko's point is pretty obviously just wordplay, but I suppose I didn't express myself as well as I could have.
Normally I'd let it rest there (it was one of the more trivial objections I've raised about Chait's position on education), but we really ought to note that this is not the first time we've seen this line:
But being "treated like professionals" has to mean both the opportunity to earn a good living if you do well and the potential to be fired if you fail.
You can find the full context of that line and my reaction to it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment