Friday, May 1, 2020

Weekend Morricone

I've been making extensive use of my local libraries' e-book collection. One recommendation is a collection from Dr. Seuss's stint as a political cartoonist for PM in the early forties. You've probably seen a few of these but it's worth going through the whole set for both the unmistakable art and cross-section of liberal but definitely not leftist views (the difference being very  sharp while the non-aggression pact was still in place).

Some of the recurring targets included isolationists, racial discrimination and especially Charles Lindbergh.














I have some writing to do over the weekend. Harlan Ellison used to listen to Ennio Morricone film scores while he worked, so I thought I'd give it a try. Morricone has over 500 IMDB credits (the latest in pre-production), so if I like the results I'm set for a while.







I hesitated for a moment on this one because it is, in retrospect, a really stupid film  that arguably manages to be less historically accurate than the TV show.


1 comment:

  1. Sure, The Untouchables was irritating . . . not so much for being stupid, as for being stupid on purpose, with Mamet turning up the stupid in an attempt to capture some larger truth, late-Hemingway style.

    But it had that great line about bringing a knife to a gunfight. That alone redeems the movie, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete